Consciousness Runs Deep Land Ethic
While viewing this, I personally liked how it focused on not only our part in nature but also how widespread and full of experience the earth and it's environment is to everyone. As well as how it brought home that the planet isn't just something to be saved or left by the wayside. I believe that through visual imagery along with the video itself they did a great job in making the grandness of our world seen, from rivers and mountains and trees, all the way down to just simply the air we breathe, making the subject of environmentalism less abstract and more tangible for the masses. I enjoyed this approach because it includes humans in the equation of nature instead of just writing us off as either helping or hurting, and I think seeing it through this lens can help many more get on board with this message as well as doing each of our part out of self preservation as opposed to a guilt driven duty.
I'm also not sure if this was what was meant by the recurring cup, but I saw that the man in the video noticed but ignored the cup rolling down the street, however he picked it out of the river, creating sort of a disconnect in a way between nature and the city. This made me think of my own stance on environmentalism and how it's not hard to do the right thing when faced with the beauty of nature but that it's also not always easy to remember in everyday life when we're so used to seeing litter, and just assuming that the street sweeper will get it. It also sort of created a barrier between what we see as "our space" and nature, and I found that interesting.
This video was sponsored by many companies and associations.
Oakley Sponsors a wide range of activities and local projects that help support the local environment. The senior managers also go to an annual workshop where they teach pupils from the community about business and attainable ways to reach their goals.
The Freshwater Trust also sponsored this video and does a lot for the community. It collects data to form restoration projects, works with farmers and landowners to create programs to use water more efficiently, they make watershed flow, terrain and species models to know where to best target areas to put solutions into affect to ensure cleaner water, and they also offer natural infrastructure solutions that help the environment while saving ratepayers money.
My personal land ethic is to never leave the space that I'm in worse than when I got there. I believe I actually read this on a State Park sign as a child, but it's stuck with me, it read: "take only pictures and leave only footprints" and that's sort of what I go by when I'm in nature. I'm also "that guy" in a group of friends that picks people's dropped trash and hands it back to them, although since high school my friend group has gravitated towards most of my group being that same way.

Comments
Post a Comment